what's the meaning...?

janilane

Programming Experience
Beginner
Not really that much familiar with object oriented, so please help me with this or kindly point me to where I can best gather info quickly. The sample below confuses me...

differences, athough sometimes they work on both...

dr1.ExecuteReader()
dr1.ExecuteReader

objects1().objects2().objects3
objects1.objects2.objects3()

...and when it is best to use:
Dim sql1 as New SqlCommand (this is creating a new object I know, but the one below is working without creating an object, so what's the use?)

against:

dim sql1 as SqlCommand

thanks

About the parantesis I'd be tempted to answer "who cares..?" in this VB world, and hear some laughs and some agony down the C# hall ;) You can't do this wrong without getting a meaningful error message, and the code editor usually adds these when you need them. So unless you have a more specific question regarding this issue, I'll pass this one.

As for "Dim sql1 as New SqlCommand" this is a VB shortcut for "Dim sql1 as SqlCommand = New SqlCommand", this is a three-part operation; (1) declaring a variable of type SqlCommand, (2) creating a new instance of type SqlCommand, (3) assigning the instance value (a reference) to the variable.
You would use "dim sql1 as SqlCommand" when the value/reference comes from elsewhere, like the return value of ExecuteReader method. Think about it, why would you create a new SqlCommand object when you have no use for it and ditch it the next line of code?

Back