Question Where to learn basics on ADO.NET data handling?

VBobCat

Programming Experience
3-5
Hello people.

I'm working on a VB.NET application that works with an Access Database.

This database's file is stored in a network folder, for it is used also by several previous, still-in-use VBA applications, and Excel data connections. That is, I cannot change its location neither its tables' data schema.

My applications relies on OleDb.OleDbConnection and OleDb.OleDbCommand classes, along with SQL queries.

This works, but I'm aware ADO.NET offers ways that are perhaps better on handling data, using DataSet and OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter, with typed objects and LINQ.

However, I'm unsure because what I've read so far considers creating a new database from scratch, or importing it to work inside Visual Studo IDE.

I am afraid of doing anything that could damage the existing database file, or render it unusable by previous applications, which are far more critical in my organization than the new one I'm writing (although I intend that it will replace all them in the long run). But above all, the data must be preserved along all these changes.

All that said, could someone recommend me some reading material, as simple as possible (for I'm not an expert by any means), where I can learn how to take advantage of more modern ADO.NET features, if that is the case? My low level of knowledge doesn't allow me to tell even if my basic, current approach is already good enough.

Thank you very much!

Well first things first, is it not possible simply to make a copy of the database which you can wreck with total impunity? And there's a lot to be said for 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', of course!

I'm afraid that all the 'easy' tutorials are pretty much bound to start with the basics. There are some reviewed here Tutorials demonstrate how to use ADO.NET with VB.NET which might at least give you a hint as to what you should be looking for. However it doesn't look like it's been updated in a while (which may simply mean that nothing good has been added to the canon, of course!) The Database chapter in Murach's VB 2010 is as good as any short introduction I know of.

All this seems sound advice, thank you very much!

I think I owe an explanation about the reasons I aim to replace current solutions in VBA (which I wrote in past 8 years). That is because they're quite naive attempts of coding, with lots of limitations, although they serve their purpose in a scenario where it was that, or nothing at all. Also, my organization threatens us all time with terminating MS-Office licences in favor of free software, which would render my Word/Excel/Access-based apps unusable.

My book of VB is Alessandro Del Sole's "Visual Basic 2010 Unleashed". I like it, it taught me a lot of things. But the ADO.Net chapter is quite too superficial, for the author heads soon to LINQ to SQL, which should be great, if I used SQL-based data, which is not the case. Then I find your suggestions and the links you posted are a most valuable resource to me. It is a little harder when you are not professional on doing something, and notices how huge is the amount of things you don't know - and still everybody expects you to produce something which, to them, seems very easy.

That said, I must thank you again for your help.

Microsoft published an excellent set of tutorials called Data Walkthroughs. You can find them for your version of .net at the link in my signature titled DW4.. Start with the Creating a Simple Data App one. Note that the about.com tutorials seem to be out of date

Back