WSE 3 Security and X.509 Certificates

Administrator

VB.NET Forum Admin
Programming Experience
10+
I'm currently using WSE 3 with the username tokens, works great! It's not an easy technology to learn, thanks to various articles on The Code Project web site I was able to finally implement the username token scenario. A lot of articles out there are either on WSE 1 or WSE 2 and things are quite different in WSE 3 with "assertions" now used.

I'd like to take WSE one step further with the use of X.509 certificates but I don't quite understand the process. The question relates to the X.509 certificate itself. Where do you get them? I understand people can create test certificates, but what do you use for production? Secondly, how do you distribute an application so that your Winforms application signs the messages sent to your server. And what if the server side is also a packaged product that I want to sell, a certificate needs to follow the asp.net solution. These certificates obviously won't be in the certificate store on the computer, it needs to be in the file system or an embedded resource I would imagine. There's certainly a lot of discussion on the use of X.509 certificates but I don't see anything regarding deployment of these solutions.

Back