FYI x64 JIT is much slower than x86 JIT!

Administrator

VB.NET Forum Admin
Programming Experience
10+
I just haven't been satisfied with the performance of my app. The time it takes to load one of the forms is just painful, on order of 4 seconds. I reported this to a component vendor of whom I use most of their controls and they came back and blamed it on JIT. Sure enough, after further review, the x64 JIT is much slower than the x86 JIT. So much so that I can't see myself compiling to "Any CPU" ever again!

I changed the Advanced Compile to force to x86 and I get JIT times on order of 1/3rd that of the Any CPU results on my x64 machine. And I have a pretty fast system here, Quad Core Vista x64 Ultimate 4 GB RAM, Striped RAID SATA drives, on and on! You don't get much faster!

So give it a try! Those of you using x64, convince me why I'd want to ever compile to Any CPU again. I know, larger address space, more memory available, but if my app is taking over 3 GB of RAM to run, I need to apply for a job pumping gas at Exxon!

Interested in your opinions - x64 vs. x86 and why I should use Any CPU when the results prove it's NOT better!

Back