A good Socket or Remoting Tutorial??

microtester

Programming Experience
1-3
Hi all,

I've been looking to get into Remoting or Socket Programming, however Im finding it hard to find any books or free online Tutorials which take you from the ground up. Ive found plenty of exmaples on the code project and such but they expect a certain level of knowledge in the area....which i have none really.

So if anyone here has any good books/TUTs they can recommend for Socket programing and or Remoting please let me know :)

Cheers Lads

.NET Framework Remoting Overview - dig in, provides overview and links to key information about this topic from documentation, also features a walk-through 'building a basic remoting application'

Sockets programming is easiest to start by looking into the TcpListener and TcpClient classes in documentation or search web. They belong to the System.Net.Sockets namespace.

Fantastic this is what ive been looking for. Is it just me or do all the VB.net books really skim over this topic. Ive never seen a book which covers Sockets for vb? Just for my information, which is better to use Remoting or Sockets. The type of app i will be building just basically needs to send commands to other machines on the network i.e. Make a server app which clients connect too and from here the server can execute commands etc.

Thanks JohnH for the links! :)

Inter Process Communications is a fairly advanced and large topic, I would guess it is only mentioned in general books and usually covered in dedicated books for this topic only.

Remoting on a TcpChannel is basically the same as sockets except it hides the complexity of the low level implementation of the connection and transport architecture which you have to create yourself with sockets. Remoting also serialize objects for you, in all should make easier to start and maintain communication.

A beginner should be able to start from the link in previous post, but remoting topic is much larger than one would think, for example here is an overview of different ways of remoting: .NET Remoting Use-Cases and Best Practices

Ok so I think im on my way now, but i have a question. If i want my server side app to be able to handle multiple connections, will i need to use threads?

Yes, you need multi-threading mechanisms when implementing sockets.

Back