Adding external Classes in VB.Net 2005

TBJ

Programming Experience
1-3
Hey,

I was wondering if someone could shed some light into this issue I'm having...

I'm developing an ASP.Net web app, using VB as my main language...I was provided with a class that performs kerberos authentication. It seems that all I need to do is add this class to my project and reference that authentication function ,as in CLASS.FUNCTION(param1, param2).

Well this external class is in Java, I changed it to J# and added it to my project as a .jsl class without apparent syntax problems.

What I really want to know is, can I use those functions, even though they are in J#? I'm thinking VS.Net's calling card is OOP so I guess it's possible.

How can I reference that class in my VB code and use its functions? I have tried the aforementioned syntax but get an error stating that the class is not known or declared...

Last edited:
You cannot mix languages in a single .NET project. You can add a reference to a .NET assembly to your project and use its classes as you would any other. You can use an Imports statement to import the namespace(s) in your assembly into any of your own classes. If your DLL is not a .NET assembly (or COM object, I think) you will need to use API calls. I've never used WebForms so I'm not sure what the situation is with API calls.

i know in vs2003 you can have two projects that are two different languages, so in your vb project all you'd need to do is add a j# project to the solution then add the class to that project and if i remember correctly all you need to do is make a variable that references that class and from the variable you can access all the functions/forms that you need

Back