Are Tabbed Browsers Necessary?

etan7501

Programming Experience
Beginner
Can I get anyone's point of view on whether or not tabbed browsers are necessary for the users experience on the web?

I have designed a browser mainly for work and I might decide to make it available for the public and I am not sure for the final product if it should be tabbed, a MDI application, or just like IE but with a new interface.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

nate.

The reason tabs were added to browsers is because the users wanted it. To actually compete with the popular browsers, you will need to have a tabbed option available at least. All browers have tabs now, including IE7 which was made public yesterday.

Most are adding in RSS support as well.

For many users it is a necessity, by others it is considered the root of evil :) In a competitive marked this should absolutely be an option, not mandatory either way. It is the same with several Office applications, they have the option of having all documents in a single window instance or each document in a taskbar window of it's own. This is a style of workspace many users adapt to and want in other relevant applications too.

i live by tabbed browsers, it's the major non-security reason i stopped using IE, i havent tried IE 7 (since i guess it's available already)

now a webbrowser that's MDI with the child windows having tabs would be interesting to see :)

fuzz said:
The reason tabs were added to browsers is because the users wanted it. To actually compete with the popular browsers, you will need to have a tabbed option available at least. All browers have tabs now, including IE7 which was made public yesterday.

Most are adding in RSS support as well.

i cant find IE7 available anywhere on microsoft's website, the closest i found was the beta 2 documentation (not even a beta for download):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...30-2d88-45b6-90ae-ed266161f463&DisplayLang=en

Thank you all for your posts. They have been very helpfull. (more are welcome)

By the way, IE 7 Beta 2 is looking very good!

nate.

I have multiple tabs open in Firefox right now: one for the forum home page, on for the VS.NET General forum and one for this thread. tabs are one of those things that not everyone will like and they can take a bit of getting used to for some, but for the majority who use them going back to a browser without them is like stepping back into the Dark Ages. The times I have to use IE I even find it difficult to live with its partial implementation through the MSN add-in. Tabbed browsing is a must. I will be forced to sue your ass if you don't provide it! ;)

jmcilhinney said:
I will be forced to sue your ass if you don't provide it! ;)
LOL!! Well I think that has convinced me (to at least have tabs as an option):)

nate.

I also couldn't live without browsers with tabs (Firefox rules!). They scare my girlfriend, but she uses an Apple so go figure.

Paszt said:
I also couldn't live without browsers with tabs (Firefox rules!). They scare my girlfriend, but she uses an Apple so go figure.
Don't let her near a new Microsoft or Logitech mouse. She'll blow an aneurysm! :)

Funny, she uses my Microsoft mouse which has 4 buttons (5 really including the scroll button). Every time she surfs the net with it I remind her that the two extra buttons are back and forward buttons for the browser and the scroll button will scroll the page and she says "why do you need more than one button, my apple only has one and it works fine".

Paszt said:
dude, you need a new girlfriend :p

I'm also a huge fan of Firefox, I'm also using the Logitech mx518 mouse and yes I do use all 8 buttons

Paszt said:
I have a policy to stay away from all Apple products. Even users who use them. :)
(I hope that statement does not ban me from this board!)

Anyway. Thanks again for all the posts. More are welcome.

Back