Changes to Web Service not registering when published

AxleWack

Programming Experience
3-5
Hi,

I have recently started working on Web Services and obviously do not entirely understand how it all works 100%.

We currently have a web service running on the System we are continuously building, which validates Bank Details(Checking Account numbers vs type of bank).

I went to the properties of the current web service we are using and made a change to the url we are using(just changed the version number) and tested and works 100% when Im testing on my Development Environment. But once I publish it, it seems to not have changed.(i.e Seems as if the change I did, does not register)

I then did some research and saw that someone said I must make changes to the app.config, which I did(only changed the parts where this web services url was), so it works on my Development Environment when testing, but still not once I have published it and our users try do the same thing.

Currently what we do is build/rebuild the application, grab the exe and update the users pc's, which normally works, but not in this case.

Am I missing something? Could anyone help. I would appreciate it!

Thank you!

After updated web service is updated and published; in consumer app use context menu in Solution explorer on the web/service reference and select 'Update web/service reference', rebuild app, publish app. Just rebuilding does not update the service reference, since this could mean code changes also, that is a manual step.

I was quite confused as to why this was happening because I did exactly as you mentioned before I created this thread.

However I found out what the problem was.

There is a file that is generated when I rebuild my application <applicationName>.config - It seems that the change of the URL for the Web Service(app.config and web service referance properties) - once I copied this over all worked 100%.

Thanks for the assistance!

Back