DataReaders or DataSets in ASP.NET Applications...

NEAL,

First off, thank you because you started this thread. I know it’s a tough subject, but I think it could resolve many of the concerns raised about the using of reader or dataset class. I've also posted thread about same subject http://www.vbdotnetforums.com/showthread.php?t=3051 some time ago but it didn't take effect … it seems

I don't wanted to start a fight here (mostly because of my terrible English and because i wouldn’t be able to prove my cognition or experience about certain topic ... whatever) even i noted that many people are still using dataset class no matter if there is not need for the same. For months i avoided open confrontation with members who are using dataset (especially if there isn't need for using of dataset). Simply i rarely answered their Qs because i knew it that many of them will object my opinion ... thanks to the JM (thanks JM ;) ) i explained some things but it's negligible regard to big number of posts however. Well, the main point of my speech (if i may) is to assure members that i want to really help them not only through my code snippets or demos but also with some professional (also if i may ... :D ) tips & tricks that I’ve learned in the past.

For the end, please take a look at this article based on true tests:

The DataReader is roughly thirty times more performant than the DataSet. For large amounts of data being brought back - several hundred or several thousand records - the absolute time differences between accessing data with these two objects can be quite pronounced. The graph below, for example, plots the results from A Speed Freak's Guide to Retrieving Data in ADO.NET for 100 to 1,000 retrieved records using a DataSet (the pink line) and a DataReader (the dark blue line). As the data shows, for retrieving 1,000 records the DataSet is more than 30 times slower than the DataReader (8.89 seconds vs. 0.29 seconds).

Cheers ;)

Back