Debugging DLL

Meenakshi

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hi

I want to debug the DLL (source code is in c++) from .exe project .. I tried giving the Debugging command .. i.e path of .exe in DLL but break point is not hitting.

Thanks
Meenakshi.

If you have a compiled DLL that your project references and you want to debug it then it needs to be a .NET assembly for a start. It also needs to be a Debug build and I'm fairly sure you would need the accompanying PDB file in the same folder with it. If it's not written in VB then your IDE will have to support the language too, i.e. you'll need a full version of VS (not Express) and Visual C++ will need to be installed. So, can you satisfy those conditions?

Actually VB Express show the source in a separate window with breakpoint, though with no language syntax highlight or other debug info. This was for a C++ clr class library, with pdb, same for both debug and release. It was slightly disappointing it didn't open the debug in the other languages Express environment, though I can understand it is the executing debugger that rules. I don't think it's related to other Express languages being installed, since the 'result' is displayed as explained in VB Express. You're right the pdb is required though, jmcilhinney.

I have pasted the pdb file as well with the .dll & all the above said conditions are satisfied.. but still the break point in the dll is not hitting..

Back