deployment to production site

dmrac2006

Programming Experience
5-10
I am still trying to understand why my aspx pages will not run on a remote server but works fine on my local IIS Server. Our ISP is running the .Net Framework 2.0, & Front Page Extensions are installed. I create a very simple aspx page, "Hello World", this runs fine on my local machine with IIS. Next step, inside VStudio 2005 I select, website , copy website....now what to copy?? I've read that I should "copy website" instead of "ftp" the files. Also, the files to copy, I can't figure out when the "bin" folder is actually created?? Right now, I do not have a "bin" folder under the "App_Data", I only have four files, default.aspx, default.aspx.vb, welcome.aspx, welcome.aspx.vb, web.config, folder App_Data, within App_Data, there are no additional files.
I assume to copy up welcome.aspx & web.config. In either case, if I copy all files, or only the welcome & config, I continually receive the error listed below:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif]Any thoughts or links would be appreciated!![/FONT]

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif] Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Any thoughts or links would be appreciated!!

[/FONT]

The bin folder will contain any compiled resources. In your case there are none. Oh, and it would not be under the App_Data folder, it would usually be in the root if compiled resources were used.
The App_Data folder will contain application data (go figure) such as xsd files for datasets, mdf files for SQL Server Express, ....
I've never used the 'Copy Web Site' function as it locks up for me (I use Visual Web Developer Express). As I understand it the 'Copy Web Site' function does use ftp. It gives you extra functionality to check the modified dates of the files and only copy newer files.

There is obviously an error with your code or the configuration of the app.
The error message you received gives you detailed instructions on how to view the error messages. Did you follow those instructions?

Back