DotFuscator...Huh? Where are instructions?

row118

Programming Experience
5-10
I chose to start using Dotfuscator with my current project. This is the Community Edition bundled with VS.NET 2003. There are no directions anywhere. I did register today but never got the email to validate my account, so that I could use the PreEmptive Forum forum.

I followed these directions that I found somewhere in google but i get an assembly error. Message is not important because I need to know where this sequence of steps is suppose to take place.

1. Delay sign the assembly during development. This is done by embedding two custom attributes into your assembly. For C#, you would include the following lines into AssemblyInfo.cs:

[assembly:AssemblyKeyFileAttribute("keyfile.snk")]
[assembly:AssemblyDelaySignAttribute(true)]

Where keyfile.snk is the name of the file containing your public key.

2. Use the strong name tool (sn.exe) that comes with the .NET Framework to turn off the strong name verification while you are testing your assembly:

sn -Vr TestAsm.exe

3. Obfuscate the delay signed assembly using Dotfuscator.

4. After running through Dotfuscator turn on the verification for the obfuscated assembly using sn.exe. This unregisters the dotfuscated assembly for verification skipping:

sn -Vu TestAsm.exe

5. Now complete the signing process of the dotfuscated assembly:

sn -R TestAsm.exe keyfile.snk

Where keyfile.snk is the name of the file containing your private key.

Am I supposed to perform these steps before doing my first compile. Or do I perform them after. When I perform them after my last cut of the dll, once i open VS.NEt again, it is overwritten. Can anyone help or point me to detailed, step-by-step instructions.

Back