zekeman

Programming Experience
10+
Where as in which web site should I tell the users of my new

VB.Net 2005 ( express) program to download the

.Net Framework...Or is there a better way since sometimes new versions

come out and URL's change.

Thanks

When you deploy with ClickOnce (application settings, Publish page) check in the Prerequisite dialog, you can set it to use the vendor website (Microsoft) - one should think they have all this figured out for future reference. See screenshot attached.

If you need a good Framework link for other matters there could be no better than the Framework portal at MSDN, anyone can go there and just click the "get the Framework" button. http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/

Attachments

• prerequisites.jpg
    prerequisites.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 109
Thanks again

I looked up 'Clickonce' and - is it a product one gets with Visual Studio?

It looks very fine. Is there a way to get it as a subset of VS to save

money?

Thanks

ClickOnce is included in all versions of Visual Studio 2005, including the Express edition. See the documentation, also have a look at the MS ClickOnce portal http://msdn.microsoft.com/clickonce/

I created a .msi file for my VB.Net Project using a free download called
'Advanced Intaller 4.1.2". It builds the project. I then placed the .msi on my web site and drove to my friends house to try the install. I clicked on it, used the 'Run' option, and it said something about it couldn't do it. So I downed the same program 'Advanced Installer' to his machine, then clicked on the .msi file on my site, and this time my project installed and run OK.

Next I went to my sisters laptop, clicked on my site .msi file, took the Run
option, and it installed and Ran. But - it could not open or create
the projects Database files. The project uses both ADO and DAO
type/class database routines. My question is:

1. Would clickonce solve these kind of issues?
2. Is there a need to distribute dll's and ocx's or something else with
the VB.Net like there was in the VB4-6 days?

Thanks for your help

I went to the Link you supplied and found a FAQ section and one
said: """"""""""""

My app needs a pre-requisite such as MSDE, MDAC, etc… can I still use "ClickOnce"? http://www.windowsforms.net/FAQs/EditFAQ.aspx?ItemID=16http://www.windowsforms.net/Modules/FAQ_Print.aspx?ItemID=16&Track=0 Yes. One option is to use the VS Bootstrapper. The Bootstrapper will bundle all of your apps necessary pre-requisite’s, install them when run & then start the “ClickOnce” application install. The Bootstrapper must be run the 1st time each user uses the app. The “ClickOnce” application will still be auto-updatable & launch able via the network. However, the pre-requisites themselves will not be auto-updateable via “ClickOnce”.
"""""""""""

My (zekeman ) Next question to the vbdotnetforum:

I guess its time to purchase Visual Studio because I'm going to need
the 'Bootstrapper' and 'Clickonce'. Since the company I'm working
for will do the purchasing, I just need to insure that I'm doing the
right thing.

Please advise

Thanks for you gracious help

I find it doubtful that MS would give the option to use clickonce outside of visual studio only to make you go and buy the full version because you need the bootstrapper plugin. But yes what you have said is correct you do need the correct version of MDAC (Microsoft Data Access Components) but you need not go out and buy the full visual studio just for that. You can download MDAC installer from the MS website and just install it before anything else it just won't be part of 'click once' that way.

zekeman said:
I guess its time to purchase Visual Studio because I'm going to need
the 'Bootstrapper' and 'Clickonce'.
You already got ClickOnce, I gather it is the Express you've been using and talking about here at forums the past month.. The prerequisites bootstrapper is included too, it's just not as advanced as the Windows Installer MSI Setup Project Bootstrapper (that is only included in Professional edition), but everything described here it does.

Interesting thread. So for a developer to deploy using VS2005Express, assuming he chooses SQL2005E as database, the barebones to be able to correctly run his program would be:
.net framework 2.0
windows installer 3.1
sql server 2005 E

Which amounts to (guessing) over 200Mb overheads download ? Granted .net framework will come built in future with Vista but...

What if the end user has no internet access ?

Can the developer redistribute these 3 above components along with his package without violating MS ? If so, how is ClickOnce then configured ?

Ultrawhack said:
Which amounts to (guessing) over 200Mb overheads download
100MB perhaps? but remember the prerequisite bootstrapper check first if any component already installed and only downloads and installs the requirements that is missing.
Can the developer redistribute these 3 above components ?
Yes. The Framework and Windows Installer are so called Redistributables, SQL Server Express is clearly stated "SQL Server Express is free to redistribute" at the portal.
how is ClickOnce then configured ?
By setting the Publish location to file path for use with for instance CD-ROM deployment, and changing the prerequisite download location radiobutton to 'same as application'. There is a wizard too included that leads you through the options if you wish.

Vis781 Said:"""""""
You can download MDAC installer from the MS website and just install it before anything else it just won't be part of 'click once' that way.
"""""

It seems like thats the best way for me to go since the client base
isn't that large and they can be given special intructions to download
any auxiliary.

I think the powers that be prefered distribution method is a CD since the software is proprietary and all. I would like to provide the FW on the
CD to give a faster load time - and I guess I'll need to study to find
how to provide a Setup Click for the user to start the FW install.

JohnH said:""""""""""
You already got ClickOnce, I gather it is the Express you've been using and talking about here at forums the past month
""""""""""""""
Yes I'm using the Visual Basic 2005 Express - but I don't see the
Clickonce menu choices-but ...

I've tried the Publish and I do so to my Web site but the site
just ends up showing a colored XML page...

This has helped alot. I'm learning challenged so please correct me if I'm wrong about:

1. Clickonce is only available with Visual Studio
2. The bootstrapper is only available with Visual Studio
3. I can distribute the entire package on a CD (saying there's enough
space on the CD for everything I include)

Thanks

If you develop with Framework 2.0 does that mean your users

must also have 2.0 FW or can they run with 1.1 FW?

Should I / can I develop with 1.1 using Visual Basic 2005 Express - and then

since XP service pack 2 users already probably have 1.1 loaded..does this

work like this?

Vis781 said:
You can download MDAC installer from the MS website and just install it before anything else it just won't be part of 'click once' that way.
Actually, this is a good example of a Custom Prerequisite, it is possible to add to the standard list of prerequisites (FW,WI,SQL). It does sound complicated, though: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165429.aspx

zekeman said:
but I don't see the Clickonce menu choices-but ...I've tried the Publish
That's the ClickOnce incarnated for ya.. Application Settings, Publish tab. Also don't forget to check the help/documentation. Any keywork clickonce/install/setup/publish/deploy will give you loads of information about this topic. If you didn't install documentation don't worry, it is available online at http://msdn2.microsoft.com/ too (- only it is just so much slower to browse pages online).

please correct me if I'm wrong about:
1. Clickonce is only available with Visual Studio
2. The bootstrapper is only available with Visual Studio
3. I can distribute the entire package on a CD (saying there's enough
space on the CD for everything I include)
1. so far, as far as I know, yes.
2. bootstrapper is a technology, just like eating and sleeping, everybody does it in some form. the CO prereq flavour is a simple one with hardly no configuration options available. the one used with MSI setups is more advanced for custom actions.
3. a CD or DVD rooms a lot more than the around 100MB you'll need for all includes. the actual VB.Net application is commonly close to 0.02 MB, adding some libraries to that say 1MB.

If you develop with Framework 2.0 does that mean your users must also have 2.0 FW or can they run with 1.1 FW?
VB2003 is .Net 1 only, VB2005 is .Net 2 only (for now at least). User need the Framework version you target, although an old .Net 1 application might run with only .Net 2 installed at user.

Back