Graphics Programming with GDI+

Administrator

VB.NET Forum Admin
Programming Experience
10+

For those that enjoy "drawing on the fly" in .NET will certainly enjoy this book! GDI+ has always been an exciting topic for me as it gives you so much more control over your application, components, and allows us programmers, who are creative by design, to take our .NET apps to new levels. Not only does it give you more control, but getting acquainted with GDI+ will also solve many problems your applications face such as flicker, controls that don't paint properly, i.e. background issues, etc.​

This book will walk you from the ground up on GDI+ and teach you about TEXT and BRUSHES in GDI+. There is a lot more to text and fonts than you know, it's important to understand how your applications render text and how you can improve appearance with GDI+ control. The book will teach you all about pens, brushes, and special effects such as gradients, line caps, dashed lines, and more. It's a great book for anyone curious about GDI+.​

Click the image above to order your copy from Amazon.com.​

Has anyone read this book, if so how is it? Does it talk about 2D game creation?

I had a look at Amazon and can't see 2D game creation is specifically mentioned for this book. That said, if you know how to use the graphics library it shouldn't be much problem using your imagination and knowledge to create 2D games with it.

Yes, but getting pices of graphics to move around and interact with each other.

Graphics never move, but you might get the impression of movement because something is first drawn here then drawn there. Interaction is the noble art of hit-testting, for example checking if some boundary meets another or if a point is within a rectangle. In the most basic form this is knowledge meets creativity. In more advanced forms you may find libraries like DirectX/XNA that may do such operations for complex graphics worlds in both 2D and 3D.

So what would be anyones main interest for this book?

Graphics programming with GDI+ (the title is NOT "Game programming..."). There is a lot more to GDI+ than what you're thinking, read the table of contents on a resource such as Amazon.com.

Well, yes ofcourse.

But one of the reasons would be for 2D games, and why? Better 2D than 3D. Look what 3D has done...;)

Back