Resolved Is there a Required Installation Sequence?

jcardana

Old to VB6, New to VB.NET
Programming Experience
Beginner
ANSWERED
The reason I'm asking is, years ago in the Flight Simming community there were many add-ons and plug-ins that would conflict with each other if they were not installed in a certain sequence. One plug-in would overwrite newer files of a previously installed plug-in.

If you look at my Installed products link in my sig, you will see a long list of stuff I have installed and I don't even know what most of that stuff does.

I'm under the impression that by having all that stuff, everything I need to design my software and web pages are available.

This is not the case. I am so lost in the transition from VB6 to VB.NET

Thank you for your time,
Joe

Last edited:
I'm under the impression that by having all that stuff, everything I need to design my software and web pages are available.

This is not the case.

And how are we supposed to help you diagnose the issue if you don't tell us what the actual issue is? If you have installed Visual Studio then you have what you need to develop applications. Some applications will need certain other things, e.g. certain NuGet packages to be installed into the project. We're not going to be able to guess what you need if you don't explain what issue(s) you're encountering.

And how are we supposed to help you diagnose the issue if you don't tell us what the actual issue is?
I have specified my problems in other posts.
If you have installed Visual Studio then you have what you need to develop applications.
Thank you, that's all I was asking here. However I'm branching out into making a web page before I finish learning the whole .NET interfaces. I may be biting off more than I can chew right now.
Some applications will need certain other things, e.g. certain NuGet packages to be installed into the project.
So where do I learn what packages are available and what's in them. I feel like I'm flying blind.
We're not going to be able to guess what you need if you don't explain what issue(s) you're encountering.
I agree and I'm so sorry that my frustrations are pouring out on others. I know from the Flight Sim world how irritating that can be. I was trying to stay "on topic" with the one question and I'm still learning where in the numerous places I should be posting my relevant questions.

Thank you for responding and I'll do better about being more calm before posting.

So where do I learn what packages are available and what's in them.
I'm guessing you'd not heard the term "NuGet" before this. Did you put that into Google and see what came up? If your first instinct when presented with a new term is not to search the web for that keyword then you won't cut it as a developer. Look first, ask questions later.

That said, it's not really practical to learn what packages are available and what they do first and then decide which one(s) you need. There's just too many with too varied functionality. You decide what you need first and then you look to see if there's a package available to do it. If you specifically need a certain package then you'll likely already know because you'll be using some particular functionality that you've read about and that same reading will reveal that a package is required. Alternatively, if you're trying to do something specific then you can search to see whether there are packages available to help. If you've done some reading on NuGet then you'll know where to look, or you can simply do a web search with NuGet as one of the keywords. Again, searching the web for specific keywords should ALWAYS be the first thing you think of doing.

I'm guessing you'd not heard the term "NuGet" before this. Did you put that into Google and see what came up? If your first instinct when presented with a new term is not to search the web for that keyword then you won't cut it as a developer. Look first, ask questions later.
Yeah, I know better than that and I have no excuse. But my reasoning, or lack thereof, is I had spent the whole day looping through various websites trying to add the Windows Media Player to an .aspx web page and I was getting flustered. I can not comprehend why I would need to install a package to a MS product to use a MS product. I'm just not having a good programming week.

That said, it's not really practical to learn what packages are available and what they do first and then decide which one(s) you need.
OK, I'll put that to rest then, thank you!

If you've done some reading on NuGet then you'll know where to look, or you can simply do a web search with NuGet as one of the keywords. Again, searching the web for specific keywords should ALWAYS be the first thing you think of doing.
I'll get on that. Thank you so much for your patience and time.

Back