IS WPF another Windows Form?

jamie_pattison

Programming Experience
Beginner
Ive been reading about what WPF is and how it differs to a normal Windows Form application. So far i understand that WPF is another Windows Form but with a bit more functionality with the User Interface and minor code changes here and there.

Would you guys agree? if not please advise when and why i should use a WPF over a Win Form app?

Many Thanks

WPF is "next-generation" and "provides a common programming model for standalone and browser applications" (Introducing Windows Presentation Foundation), that mean it can be used both for windows client and web client applications. The programming model and Xaml source files has more in common with ASP.Net development, so it seems to me does the controls. A "subset" of WPF is called Silverlight and are also Xaml web applications. See also Windows Presentation Foundation on the Web: Web Browser Applications and Deciding When To Adopt Windows Presentation Foundation - WindowsClient.net. It is also interesting that you can host WPF control in a traditional windows forms client application and forms controls in a WPF application.

Back