layout problem Windows 8

J Trahair

Programming Experience
10+
Hi Everybody. I have a VB.Net project that works well in Windows XP and Windows 7. My customer got himself a new laptop with Windows 8 preinstalled. The project runs but where GroupBox positions are set at runtime (as opposed to development time), they bunch up a little towards the top left, as if the .Top and .Left values are multiplied by 0.9, say. Their sizes (.Width and .Height) are unchanged, the .Top and .Left are reduced.

Also, DGV column widths are about 25% narrower but the DGV.Width is unchanged, so there's a grey patch on the right hand side of the right hand column.

So I upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 8, and ran the application on that. Everything is fine. No bunching up, no grey patches.

Is this a VB.net thing, or a Windows 8 setting that needs to be changed? See red circles (bad), green circles (good).
Policies bad.pngPolicies good.png
Thank you.

If you are defining your form layout using an assumed DPI (i.e. 96), it's possible that the user's laptop is running with a higher DPI setting which could cause a problem. The other thing to check is whether the user is using large fonts.

It turns out that the culprit is the Small/Medium/Large font size choices in Control Panel - Display. Thanks everybody.

Back