Question moving MS SQL Database to another PC

alqatel

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hii Everyone,

I'm happy to register in this forum , and here is my first question.....

I have developed an application in Visual Basic.Net 2010 and i used MS SQL Database ...
My question is how do i move the database to another computer in order for my program to run???

Thanks

How are you deploying: XCOPY, ClickOnce, Setup project or some other way? How did you create the database: added directly to the project in VS or added to the SQL Server instance in Management Studio?

You really don't have to do anything then. If you're using ClickOnce publishing or Windows Installer via a Setup project then your data file will be included by default. If you're using XCOPY then you just copy the files from the output folder, which will include the EXE and the MDF file.

Sorry, but i don't understand what do you mean by (Clickonce publishing or windows installer ) and what's xcopy???

my problem in detail::

i'm still building my application in vb.net which i didn't finish yet building , but i want to format my pc , so i need to backup my mssql which is created by the vb.net it self

how do i do it??

Thanks

ClickOnce is the technology used when you publish your project in VS or VB Express. Windows Installer is the standard Windows technology for installing applications which lists them in the Add/Remove Programs or Programs & Features applet of the Control Panel. One way to use Windows Installer is to adda Setup project to your solution in VS. XCOPY means that you're simply copying the EXE and any related files to the target machine using Windows Explorer. These are the three main ways to deploy .NET applications.

You're trying to take something simple and make it difficult. If you added the database directly to your project then it is part of your project. If you keep a copy of your project then you have a copy of the database. If you copy that project to another machine or hard drive and open it then you'll see the whole project, including the database.

Back