Question New to programming.

Ashcan

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello,

I am a college student, I just aced my last course, and progressing onto the national diploma in ICT.

I am keen on software design and development, I have only done a few core units on the subject and only used VB.Net to create programs, for what its worth I have read a few books on the language.

I have looked around the internet for Open-Source projects that I can get involved in, but they look a bit daunting at a first glance and the code seems hard to understand.

Now, I'm asking the community for advice,

What resources can you show me that can help?
How did you get involved with VB.net!
Why?
What programs have you developed.

I think I have covered what I wanted to ask,

Thanks!

Ashley.

Last edited:
Thread Moved to Programmer Chat

I was taking the Associates degree programming classes at my local college and had only been doing the 'homework' programs when I started looking for a programming job. The college helped me get a job and since then my programming experience has just taken off. My co workers took things easy with me at first because I was so new to doing actual programming, but now (it's only been 1.5 years) they're throwing the stuff at me left and right, which is how I like it.

If you join an open source project, you may not contribute much at first but it'll give you a chance to start seeing some code and after a while things will start coming together. And of course reading books on the subjects will always help too.

Well I think you can check out MultiDocs...its kinda like a word processor...or MrWord(I am not sure about making it open source but I will see that) There's Mozilla FireFox...Paint.NET(I am not sure if many people know about it but it's a free version of Adobe Photoshop LOL) <--Seriously its One heck of a good Visual C# app..Not sure if its open source any more but google it up! =D

1.How did you get involved with VB.net!
2.Why?
3.What programs have you developed.

1. I got involved into VB.NET as a young child. I always was interested in the technology of a computer. Since I always like to do stuff "my way" I first started with creating my own flash animations =D. Then I wanted to make a flash game..But i was never interest in action scripting..Then one day I was in the public Resource Center and was looking for Flash How to's and I came across a book VB.NET for dummies. I checked that out for some reason and well here I am today =D.
2. I already said above...I like to do stuff my way... I want to create things that no one has ever made and help other people out...=D
3. I am only 14 years old so don't expect much out of me =D..but I am proud to say today that I have Developed MrWord! Its in my sig =D...Check it out if you like..

Hope Fully I helped =D

Back