FYI other learning resources?

Swatto

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello Everyone,

Just joined this forum hoping to get involved with your community.

I am new to VB.net and Im currently learning from Visual Basic 2010 Step by Step, enjoying it so far. I have done a bit of programming with other languages such as python but have been told VB is best for learning about OOP and classes etc.

If anybody has any other useful websites/books that might be of help to me please let me know.

Thanks alot,

Swatto:rugby:

You should work your way through the book first and then decide what specific areas you want greater detail in, because most resources other than beginner books and tutorials will be more specific than general.

Also, make copious use of the MSDN documentation, preferably installed locally. If you know what type or member you need to use but not exactly how to use it to do what you want, you should always consult the documentation first. I lost count years ago of the number of times I've answered questions on this and other forums on subjects I was initially unfamiliar with simply by reading the appropriate documentation. If I could do that, the person asking the question could for themselves.

You won't find everything you need in the doco and you won't understand everything you find but you will often find what you need, often find useful information that you weren't looking for and get better at using it the more you do. It has been my number one source of information since I first started working with .NET in 2003.

Thankyou very much for your reply jmcilhinney , much appreciated. I will work my way through the book and download the MSDN documentation to my machine :rugby:

Back