Programming

dan9933

Programming Experience
Beginner
Ok so i have two questions, as you will undoubtedly notice, I am not very knowledgeable at programming. The program I want to design is best compared to a social networking site, where there are accounts + profiles etc, but obviously a program not a web site. I am currently beginning to learn c++. Here are my questions;
1. Am i learning the right language?
2. How would i go about starting to write this?
Thanks

Each different programming language has its strengths and weaknesses. C++ is a very powerful programming language and you can do pretty much anything with it. You don't always need all that power though. In many cases, the convenience offered by languages such as VB.NET is a greater advantage. I wouldn't say that C++ is the "wrong" language, but I'll bet that, for most Windows applications, a good VB.NET developer could deliver a finished product sooner than a similarly skilled C++ developer.

This forum is dedicated to VB.NET so I'm not going to provide advice that isn't either generic or VB.NET-specific. You first need to consider the architecture. If this is going to be a multi-user app then you will need a location accessible to all users to store the data. Each client will then have to connect to that server in order to get and save data. You need to decide where to put the server and how to build it, then how your client will connect to it. The most likely option would be a hosted database exposed via a web service. Your client can then make calls to that web service to interact with the data in the database. If you were using VB.NET, I'd say look at WCF for the server.

Note that there is a .NET version of C++ too. C++/CLR combines the power of C++ with the convenience of the .NET Framework. I've never used it myself but it is a bit of a different animal to VB.NET. It's not quite the RAD tool that VB is, but you do have access to all the .NET goodness, e.g. WCF.

Back