Question Setting Platform Target

rootsage

Programming Experience
Beginner
Heya, I just moved to Vista Ultimate 64bit and I have an app that needs to be compiled as x86. It was originally written in VB.NET 2005 and I have now moved to 2008. How, in VB.NET, do I set it to compile as x86 in VB.NET 2008 Express? I cannot find this setting anywhere, I tried the Advanced Compile Options, but the only "target" setting there is the Target framework setting, no target cpu or anything related to that. Could this be because I am using the Express version? Any help is appreciated :) Thanks...

Last edited:
It is my understanding that if you compile your application it will run on any windows platform as long as it has the framework you compiled it against. (1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5)

When you compile your program it gets compiled to what is called the IL (Intermediate Language). When deployed to another computer that has the required dot net framework installed it will be Just In Time (JIT) compiled and optimised to the architecture you are on be that 32bit or 64bit.

In short you only need to ensure that your development computer and the computer(s) you are deploying your application to have the same .net framework installed.

Regards

Scott

Back