SQL Server Express connection after deployment

FreeriderUK

Programming Experience
10+
Hi all,
I'm just starting with SQL Server Express and was just wondering how a connection is made on another machine when I deploy my application.
If I connect to a database with something like SAMSUNG\SQLEXPRESS\Databases\MyCompany - what will the connection look like on the users machine?
Can it be setup automatically without any user intervention?

I'm not looking for a step-by-step technical explanation, just plain english.
Thanks.

It doesn't actually matter - I'm quite sure SQL EXPRESS looks after the connection string itself.

Under MyProject - Settings, you will see the connection string which starts with:
VB.NET:
Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS...

The connection string defaults to a dynamic data path (AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\theDB.mdf) where "|DataDirectory|" is a keyword, so this works out of the box when deployed.

I too am having similar problems/question

My computer is on a domain. The application was built on my pc. The sqlexpress resides on my machine. When I install the program on another computer and execute it won't connect to the database. I have the database shared to everyone in the group that is on the domain. Still no connection. Any other configurations that need to take place? FYI I am a domain admin.

My computer is on a domain. The application was built on my pc. The sqlexpress resides on my machine. When I install the program on another computer and execute it won't connect to the database. I have the database shared to everyone in the group that is on the domain. Still no connection. Any other configurations that need to take place? FYI I am a domain admin.

Um.. I'm just checking.. Which way round are you using this database?
1) Youre file sharing the MDF files and having an SQLS engine on each client use it
2) Youre running one SQLS engine on a server and having clients connect to it

Really, really dont do 1, if it's even possible

I use option 2. I have given the users on our domain specific roles and permissions for accessing the sql server. It kind of sucks though because I have to change my gateway to theirs which is 69.1 but I need to have 100.2 in order to use internet. I tried installing isaclient on the server to allow the proxy but it did not work. So, right now I am stuck with no internet on that machine. Client app is up and running with success. They really like it.

Latest posts

Back