Tranfering data from excel to a database table?

rookie

Programming Experience
1-3
I am trying to transfer data from an excel file to a database table. I am able to collect the data into a dataset table. However, I need to store the dataset table into an sql server database table.

Any assistance will be appreicated
VB.NET:
Below is the code that does this. 
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#008000][COLOR=#000000]===============================================[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=#008000]
[/COLOR][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Dim[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] myFile [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]String[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] = Server.MapPath("testxls.xls")[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Dim[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] MyConnection [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] OleDbConnection( _[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]"provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;data source=" & myFile & _[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]";Extended Properties=Excel 8.0;")[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]MyConnection.Open()[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Dim[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] MyCmd [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] OleDbCommand[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]MyCmd = [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] OleDbCommand("select * from [Sheet1$]", MyConnection)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Dim[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] MyAdapter [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] OleDbDataAdapter = [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] OleDbDataAdapter[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]MyAdapter.SelectCommand = MyCmd[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]Dim[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] myDS [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]As[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] DataSet = [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]New[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2] DataSet[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]MyAdapter.Fill([COLOR=red]myDS, "myTable")[/COLOR][/SIZE]
=================================================
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know we can get in a flap when we're under pressure but it's important to read replies carefully. I'm more fond of providing instructions than code because doing is a better way to learn than copy and pasting, but you need to read the instructions carefully without making assumptions about what they say beforehand though. It's easy for me to forget that that's easier said than done though. All's (realtively) well that ends (relatively) well though. :) You might try checking out the two tutorials below for future reference:

ADO.NET part 1
ADO.NET part 2
SQL

I'm not new to programming, but just new to vb.net. I don't care much for copying and paste - but i can rea a code to understand it. However, I was confused because I missed the vital information: the essence of preseting the data adapter.

You were of great assistance thanks.

Back