Question Visual Studio 2012 Hints and Tips for Beginners

Rob Sherratt

Programming Experience
10+
Hello Admins. I've been using Visual Studio Express 2012 to develop a large Windows Forms application for Windows 7 and Windows 8 desktop, which is now completed. I learned many "Hints and Tips" that may be useful to other people. Some cover using Windows Forms .NET 4.5. objects such as DataGridView, ListBox and DataTable in fairly advanced ways, including some of the possible pitfalls. Other hints and tips cover configuration of the Visual Studio Express 2012 environment itself, with some things I found really useful but which are not well documented or covered in Help. I'm not sure where in the forum to post these "Hints and Tips", or even if these would be welcomed by the community here. Please could forum Admins reply and let me know about this? There are aspects of the "point and click" functionality which I developed which link together a Listbox, and multiple DataGridViews bound to DataTables in such a way that the use can easily navigate and search just using point and click. I'm willing to write a tutorial on this. If you want it on this forum, please give me guidance on how you would like it presented e.g. with either video examples or screen shot examples. Also I cannot for some reason send a private message to Admins at the moment, maybe due to insufficient privilege on my account. Can this be "fixed" because I would normally send a question like this by private message? Also I can not enter any line breaks when using the WYSIWYG editor, is there some workaround for this? Thanks, Rob.

Thread moved to Forum Feedback forum.
If you want it on this forum, please give me guidance on how you would like it presented
Anything useful related to VB.Net development is welcome in these forums (we don't allow compiled binaries, though). Use the thread prefix FYI or Tip for such posts. Be prepared to get feedback on such posts also, it is an open forum. Make it look nice, use standard forum formatting boxes for code blocks and quotes etc. Images can be attached to post and inserted at specific places in post. Make use of post preview to see that a post looks the way you want before submitting it. Read the FAQ. Use what you think is an appropriate forum for the topic of your post, which also means you should think about limiting each thread to a specific topic.
Also I cannot for some reason send a private message to Admins at the moment, maybe due to insufficient privilege on my account. Can this be "fixed" because I would normally send a question like this by private message?
PM is enabled for new users only after a few posts have been approved to avoid PM spams. The Forum Feedback forum here would be appropriate for a request like this, allowing any admin/moderator/user to reply to.
Also I can not enter any line breaks when using the WYSIWYG editor, is there some workaround for this?
I have no idea what you mean by that, problem with your Enter key? :)

Hi John, Thanks for your replies. There is no problem with the enter key on my keyboard. Every other web site and forum works fine. I am accessing the forum from a Windows 8 computer (Desktop mode) using Internet Explorer 10. Has the forum been tested in that way until now? I promise you that the WYSIWYG editor is not accepting the "Enter" key press and so there is no way I can generate a line break. Other keys seem to work fine. Weird eh? I tried both standard WYSIWYG and "Advanced mode", no difference. Here is some text I prepared in NotePad.
It has line breaks every line so you can see my "Enter" key works :applouse:
Here's another new line created in NotePad.
The only line breaks in this message are the ones I entered in NotePad and then copied and pasted. The WYSIWYG editor will still not recognize the "Enter" key presses. I tried "Enter" several times on this line. I hope you can check this out on a Windows 8 computer (Desktop Mode) with IE 10.

Last edited:
I hope you can check this out on a Windows 8 computer (Desktop Mode) with IE 10.
I haven't got to W8 yet, maybe other users have?

Hi John, I am now testing on a second Windows 8 computer. The problem is due to some incompatibility of the WYSIWYG editor with IE10. Trust me on this, I am a competent developer and IT manager. I am not sure who supplies the code for your editor - could you refer the matter to them for investigation please? I will try in a minute to post another reply using IE8 on a Windows 7 laptop just to confirm the problem is localized to the editor, and not some config setting on my forum account. Thanks, Rob.

Hello again.
This message is being typed using IE8 as browser on a laptop running Windows 7.
As you can see there is no problem entering line breaks.
So, it is conclusive that the problem is an incompatibility between the WYSIWYG editor and IE10 running under Windows 8.
I think the WYSIWYG editor provider and Microsoft should be made aware of this.
Hopefully they will come up with a solution.
Thanks, Rob

John,

The fact that IE10 under Windows 8 should exhibit this problem with your WYSIWYG editor that runs perfectly OK with IE8 under Windows 7 indicates to me that the problem is one that Microsoft should be asked to resolve through a change to IE10. Do you have any way of contacting Microsoft to have them investigate? I have also noticed other problems with IE10 because there are some incompatibilities with Google facilities including Google +, Gmail etc. It leads me to suspect that IE10 has not been properly regression tested.

Thanks,
Rob

John,

Here is the final test that proves the problem is with IE10 and not with the Windows 8 Desktop OS..
I have now installed Google Chrome (latest version) on my Windows 8 computer, and am using Chrome as the browser in desktop mode to access the vbdotnet forum.
There is no problem using the ENTER key as you can see - and it's the same keyboard as I was using with IE10 previously.
So, my workaround will be to abandon use of IE10 since it is riddled with bugs and has obviously not been regression tested properly.
Is there any escalation mechanism I can use to make sure Microsoft are informed of the bug(s) in IE10, or can you do this?

Best regards,
Rob

I am not sure who supplies the code for your editor
footer said: