Question What can VB.net do that VB6 couldn't?

vb6 isn't an OO language, whereas VB.Net is

I am just trying to visualize how you code in notepad with VB6, because if you are actually creating from scratch using notepad like the forms, buttons and etc.. You will definitely be using OO techniques... I am quite sure this is correct. And yes VB6 is not an OO language but you will be using OO techniques if you will be creating an application from scratch using notepad with VB6, which makes it OO.

I guess I am going to try to explore .NET framework by myself try to find out things that makes VB.NET or the .NET Framework itself on how it makes relevant today...

thanks for all the replies, I am going to go back in this forum someday and share what I was able to figure out.

I am just trying to visualize how you code in notepad with VB6, because if you are actually creating from scratch using notepad like the forms, buttons and etc.. You will definitely be using OO techniques... I am quite sure this is correct. And yes VB6 is not an OO language but you will be using OO techniques if you will be creating an application from scratch using notepad with VB6, which makes it OO.
Is PHP OO? You create PHP apps in notepad and PHP doesn't have any OO in it. Is QBasic OO? You can create those programs in notepad too.

Just because you can write a complete program in notepad, doesn't mean it's OO.

I guess I am going to try to explore .NET framework by myself try to find out things that makes VB.NET or the .NET Framework itself on how it makes relevant today...

thanks for all the replies, I am going to go back in this forum someday and share what I was able to figure out.
Sharing findings is always welcome here, and if you get stuck, you can always come back and ask questions.

I didn't say that PHP is OO, and you can't actually compare it creating VB6 in notepad and creating web apps with PHP in notepad.. Are you getting my point?

If you are coding a VB6 application in notepad that techniques in creating forms is actually OO! you are actually using classes and methods and other OO techniques(whatever you may call it).

But I can actually compare creating VB6 apps in notepad and creating Java apps in Notepad, but not PHP compare it to VB6. I think now you are getting the point.

No offense, but for me it is very lame to compare creating VB6 apps in notepad and creating PHP apps in notepad.. No offense brother.

Also, I do not know anything about QBasic. But if you want to talk about PHP or Java you are very much welcome, but I think it is quite appropriate for other people because this is a VB.NET forum.
A quick comparison of .Net to Java, hopefully it'll help:
In Java you have the JVM, in .Net it's the CLR.
In Java you have the compiled ByteCode file, in .Net it's MSIL.
In Java you have the API, in .Net that's the .Net Framework.
Java could support multiple languages all compiling to the same ByteCode file, in .Net all 4 .Net languages compile to MSIL code.

Also to include vb6: vb6 has the vb6 run time files that the OS needs to run anything made in vb6, the .Net Framework is Vb.net's run time files which is required to run anything .Net.

Back