What kind of programmer are you?

myblueocean

Programming Experience
Beginner
What kind of programmer are you?

Well, I'm just a very small interest, casual programmer, no profit.:D Like I could make a penny.

I don't know any other languages, I did try learning some php...:rolleyes:

But otherwise this is the only language I know something small about.;)

Anyone else?

Ofcourse, I should as obviously say that to have a forum dedicated to this language you'd have to of had many years of experience using it.

Since I'm still in college for my bachelor's computer science degree, I'm still considered more of a hobbyist programmer. But I do work part time for a local university doing programming work too.

I've dabbled in a few languages. I've played with C#, Java and of course VB6, QBasic, Basic (but I don't count those since they're old and useless)

Other than that I've been playing with MS Access for years and I've picked up Html and xml as well (I know these two aren't programming languages)

Hobbyist developer/programmer for more than twenty years, I'm bad :eek:

at school and college I hated programming (really hated it). I dabbed with Basic, VB, a bit of VBA - the latter more to do with Access when we were having to do Relational Database projects.

A couple of years ago I was given a project at work to update an existing system into a fully relational working one. That's when I somehow managed to self-teach VB.net - I will still admit I know nothing much about programming, but I will say I think I fully understand database programming and ADO.net within the environment.

Since then, because of it's success, I have created a few more bespoke applications similar (the coding is always the same, which is why I admit to not knowing a great deal about programming as with my apps the basic principles are the same throughout each app).

However, new projects are rising up and I'm looking at learning ASP.net next to create an Intranet system, and also a couple of admin programs built in for users to do daily tasks....also looking at an app to link into our AIX business system (that's a dead project to me already :D )

I like to come onto these forums and see how "simple problems" are solved by those who know the programming more than just the database side....

So to me, more of a career-programmer, although it's not on my job description and I don't get paid any more to do it :(

Talking about principles that varies from software to software?

Does anyone know about the history of much of it?

Ha, when I was at college, got a lecture about the history of it all sorta...1940's. Going back a long time.

maybe all of the above ;)

I'm a self-taught programmer, learning it by copying stuff out of a book when I was 9. Didn't consider it as a job until time came to pick a subject for college and have now been working as a full time programmer for about 5 and half years now. I still have it as a hobby but don't get much time to play around with stuff I like. Will be changing jobs soon enough so need to get recertified with sql and the like. Ah well, c'est la vie :)

learning it by copying stuff out of a book when I was 9

Was I the only 9 year old that climbed trees and jumped into lakes?? :D

btw, what's the "reputation" thingy in the top-right of each of the posts?...

If someone finds a post of yours helpful, they click on the scales and "add to reputation". The higher your rep, the more trusting your answers and helpful you are to people. No one adds to mine :( I've even tried adding to myself, but that doesn't work unfortuantely ;)

trying to figure out whether I am a programmer, web developer, system administrator, dba or a network administrator

Brian, you must be working for the same company as me then!!

how do you guys keep your skills up to date?

urm, read this forum ;)

With difficulty ;) Personally I have to constantly read material every day and programming full time keeps my skills sharp. It's fun most of the time but sometimes it's a real drag

Was I the only 9 year old that climbed trees and jumped into lakes?? :D

Back when I was nine, I was riding my bike everywhere and jumping into a pool, does that count? I didn't start programming till I was 11.

I work for a programming company, which means I'm paid to constantly find solutions for various scenarios our programs are used for. Which means I'm constantly googling and asking questions.

Every now and then I get paid to go to Microsoft seminars whenever they're in my area.

I didn't start programming till I was 11.
Ah, a late bloomer huh? ;) lol (just kidding) :)

I have to say that I'm constantly googling too when I'm looking for a solution to a problem - not point in re-inventing the wheel after all :) To be fair, I put a lot of my own code out on the public domain too especially if the info was hard to track down or I couldn't find it originally

A professional developer of 21 years experience. Still loving it. :D

Back