Where to start

thirteentwenty

Programming Experience
Beginner
OK... I'm offically tired of getting my butt kicked by VB.NET...

I've got crappy net connection at home so surfing for resources online to help learn is out of the question (unless I'm at work)...

Aside from 101 Visual Basic.net code samples listed here. What are some other good resources that I can learn from...

From the basics like Option Strict being ON... as someone pointed out to me it helps to be a better coder... (I turned it on for the project that I'm working on now and there were about 100 errors (although it works with it off).

I was just given a copy of Murach's VB2005, is this a good book to deal with? Thumbing through it I didn't see anything about Option Strict/Explicit nor did I see anthing about "Best Practices"...

Anyways, everyones assistance and patience is always appreciated... thanks a million guys/gals!

Last edited:
So what specifically are ya looking for help with right now?

Specifically with right now?

I've actually started 2 threads for that Saving (copying) datagridview and updating a memofield.

Any help in those two areas would be greatly appreciated, but I'm looking to become better... In one of my earlier posts, cjard said that my code isn't good, I believe him... or her... which ever... and in my mind that means it's crap... I don't like producing crap... when building websites (php/css) my code is always compliant, crossbrowser compatible etc... it's not bad code... it's great code... but alas this is new to me, and having started the way I did, I'm not even sure if I'm asking the correct questions half the time....

I'm a firm believer in knowing the baiscs first, unfortunately right now I'm not in, or wasn't in a position to start in the right ways.

Thanks again...

MSDN is my favorite reading resource (local help system), if you're using the limited MSDN Express and have outgrown it or just want the "big book" right away then check this thread http://www.vbdotnetforums.com/gener...d-full-msdn-library-visual-studio-2008-a.html. Of course I can appreciate beginners may want to use a structured learning book first, check out book stores like Amazon that have extensive book lists with rating system and reviews.

Back