Question Check if a table already has a Primary Key

Runescope

Programming Experience
Beginner
So I'm fixing a table from someone else, and they never put primary keys in all of their tables. I've figured out how to put a primary key into the table in my program, but now I want to check if the primary key has been set already so I don't try to set it twice, resulting in an error.

I'm using VB.net 2010 if anyone can give me an idea how to do this, that would be appreciated.

Hi,

The one important thing you forgot to mention is what type of Database you are working with. If this is SQL Server then you can use the following:-

VB.NET:
IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLE_CONSTRAINTS WHERE
    CONSTRAINT_TYPE = 'PRIMARY KEY'
    AND TABLE_NAME = 'YourTableName' 
    AND TABLE_SCHEMA ='dbo')
BEGIN
    ALTER TABLE [dbo].[YourTableName] ADD CONSTRAINT [PK_YourIndexName] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED  ([YourPrimaryKeyField])
END

All you need to do now is replace the variables YourTableName, PK_YourIndexName and YourPrimaryKeyField with the correct names in your own Database.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Ian

Ahhhh, I didn't think it would be necessary to say which type of database I was working with, as I was posting in the MS Access section. But anyways, I'm working with MS Access.

Ahhhh, I didn't think it would be necessary to say which type of database I was working with, as I was posting in the MS Access section.

ha, ha, and my apologies, I must still be half asleep, Doh!

Its been while now since I have done this type of thing in Access and I have certainly not done this through Visual Studio. In my VBA days however, I would have achieved this using the TableDefs collection to loop through the tables and checking for a Primary Key and then use Create Index to set a primary key where needed.

I cannot remember the specific code of the top of my head so you may well need to Google these topics to generate your final solution.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Ian

I spent 4 hours today googling it with no luck lol Not sure if my google-fu was weak today or what, but I couldn't find a single thing that worked.

Using OleDbDataAdapter.FillSchema method and checking DataTable.PrimaryKey property is an option.

Hi JohnH,

I think your explanation went over my head a bit. I don't recognize that method at all. :ambivalence: I'll start looking for it on google to learn about it, but if you know of an example of how to use it, that would be great!

Edit: Some preliminary searching shows that this is for a bound database, mine is unbound.

Last edited:
Allrighty! I found what was needed, but now I have a separate problem, should I post it into a different thread?

Here's the solution I found anyways.

I found this function:
Public Shared Function getKeyNames(tableName As [String], conn As DbConnection) As List(Of String)
    Dim returnList = New List(Of String)()

Dim mySchema As DataTable = TryCast(conn, OleDbConnection).GetOleDbSchemaTable(OleDbSchemaGuid.Primary_Keys, New [Object]() {Nothing, Nothing, tableName})

' following is a lengthy form of the number '3' :-)
    Dim columnOrdinalForName As Integer = mySchema.Columns("COLUMN_NAME").Ordinal

For Each r As DataRow In mySchema.Rows
        returnList.Add(r.ItemArray(columnOrdinalForName).ToString())
    Next

Return returnList
End Function

This successfully checks if the specified table 'RegTable' has a primary key, the function returns 0 if it doesn't and more than zero based on how many keys there are (more than one seems odd to me, but there must be a reason).

Hi JohnH,

I think your explanation went over my head a bit. I don't recognize that method at all. :ambivalence: I'll start looking for it on google to learn about it, but if you know of an example of how to use it, that would be great!

Edit: Some preliminary searching shows that this is for a bound database, mine is unbound.
It has nothing to do with data-binding. You just create a OleDbDataAdapter object and call its FillSchema method to fill the schema information to an empty DataTable object, then get the columns from PrimaryKey property.
I have a separate problem, should I post it into a different thread?
Yes. I split that to new thread: http://www.vbdotnetforums.com/ms-access/56960-make-field-text-field.html

Thanks JohnH,

Yeah, after reading up on it for a bit I realized how silly that was with the bound/unbound. Which lead me to the function I found, so all good! And thank for splitting that other problem into a new thread, I do appreciate it.

Edit: Hmmm, for some reason I can't edit this to say resolved. Can you?

Back