Programming Experience
Beginner
i developed a small project in asp.net
now i want to keep that project on NET
then what r the steps to follow
any suggestions
welcome
thks

Do you mean you want to put the project onto the Internet? If so then you will need to find a web host that has the .net framework installed.

exactly i want to put it on the internet
can u let me know the steps
thanks
levyuk said:
Do you mean you want to put the project onto the Internet? If so then you will need to find a web host that has the .net framework installed.

Clarification on the uploading process

I have a webhost that allows ASP .NET.

But then again, the question remains, How is the project deployed on the internet?

Do I just transfer all the contents of the project folder from my computer to my Account on the net ??

I did try that and I keep getting a Runtime Error.

For example my form name is WebForm1.aspx .

When I go to the site and type "www.mydomainname.ca/WebForm1.aspx" I get a Runtime Error.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
Nabby

I have uploaded everything in the Project Folder, that includs the ".vb" file. Here is the error that I am getting,

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Could you temporarily change the "customErrors" in your web.config from <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" />
to
<customErrors mode="Off" />

This would show the actual error details.

Also, are you also uploading the bin folder with the compiled .dll for your project ?

Blokz

I have uploaded everything on to the webserver and I even have the custom errors mode set to off. But then again I am not getting any details regarding the error and yeah I am still getting an error when I upload the file.

Well,

What are you using to build these pages? Visual Studio.NET? If so, you don't need the .vb files since when you "build" your project in VS.NET - it compiles everything you need in the .DLL file inside the Bin folder of your web Application. An easy way to get your project on the web is by means of the "Copy Project" method but only if the hosting server has FrontPage extensions installed - find that out too. If so then...

Since you have a hosting account, you have to FTP into the server, I assume. Well, from Visual Studio.net and your web project open, click on "Project" from the toolbar, then click on "Copy Project". enter in the destination folder meaning, www.yoursite.com or whatever, but not ftp://www.yoursite.com

Make sure FrontPage is selected for the Web access method and then copy only the files needed to run the app -. You will be prompted for a user/pass and it is the same you enter for trying to FTP -

Remember, you can only do it that way if you have FrontPage extensions installed on the hosting server. Otherwise, navigate to your project folder and the key files you need is the .dll file in your bin folder and global.asax, web.config - also, the .dll in your bin needs to be placed in a folder called bin as well on your hosting server...

Back