Question Displaying Many-to-Many relationships

Arg81

Programming Experience
1-3
What's the best way of displaying many-to-many relationships on a form?

I'm trying to create a simple app to show Printers and Consumables.

Printers can have many consumables, and these consumables can be used on many printers.

I've created the three tables:
prn_Printers
prn_Consumables
prn_PrinterConsumables (the "middleman")

I have created the right relations etc in my app, and dragged onto the form to create the grids.

However, when I click a printer in the printer grid, I only see 1 consumable. I then have to go through each PrinterConsumable in that grid (which will end up deleted or hidden) to see the other consumables.

Basically I want a list of printers, and when I highlight a printer, see a list of ALL the consumables....

Help appriciated (I haven't had to do a MM relationship yet!!!)

Er.. You dont ever have or display MM relationships.. You just said:

"Basically I want a list of printers, and when I highlight a printer, see a list of ALL the consumables"

That's 1:M Printers:Consumables.

Think about it. If you had MM, it would bounce back and forth and become useless:
Click 1 printer, all consumables are shown, now try and show all printers for those consumables, now try and show all consumables for those printers..

Eventually you'd just show everything

consumables can be used on many printers.... so that scraps that one to many.

For example, OKI Type 9 cartridge and drum can be used on 3 different OKIs

EDIT:

Printers: PrinterID, PrinterMake, PrinterModel, Comments

Consumables: ConsumableID, Type, Comments, Qnty

PrinterConsumables: PrinterID, ConsumableID

Printers to PrinterConsumables: one-to-many
Consumables to PrinterConsumables: one-to-many

Obviously no relationship from Printers to Consumables directly.
I've attached a screenie to try and explain more. When I click on a printer in the grid, the printerConsumables shows only the related data for that printer. However, the consumables show EVERY consumable in the table as there's no direct relationship.
I want the current ConsumableID's in the PrinterConsumable grid to be shown in the Consumables grid, and for this to filter correctly as I change printers....

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
consumables can be used on many printers.... .
Great, but this screen isnt showing that fact, so this screen is showing a 1:M 1printers:Mconsumables
And we dont care that those M consumables can be used in N printers, or that those N printers can take O consumables.. see how it runs away to infinity(whole set) ?

I get the problem, really, and you have it set up the right way.. Basically, i'm telling you to arrange your dataset like:

printer 1 : M (middleman table) N : consumables

And when youre on the "Show all consumables for a printer" screen you will have:
GrandParentBS: Printers
ParentBS: Middleman
ChildBS: Consumables

And when youre on the "Show all printers for a consumable" screen:
GrandParentBS: Consumables
ParentBS: Middleman
ChildBS: Printers

Dont try and show them on one screen, you'll tie yourself in nots

Last edited:
Back