Question Simple database help in getting started

JammyOne

Programming Experience
1-3
Hello everyone,

First time poster here! I need a little help and direction with how to go about writing a program using a database. Apologies in advance if I've posted in the wrong section.

Aims:

1) To be able to make a form that takes about 8 pieces of information and stores it on a central local network database across a shared drive.

2) Need a form that can retrieve the data and have options showing only lines that have a match on a field (for example to be able to show records from a particular date). I then need to be able to update these records.

It seems fairly simple. I suppose I'll need to write a function that returns a connection string to change my search parameters (as above for date etc) and I'll need a function to write a new row of data, and last of all a function to edit a particular piece of data.

I've not yet written anything because I am a complete novice at databases and I have a few questions that you geniuses might be able to answer.

1) - Will a shared Access Database (.accdb) be suitable for what I'm trying to do? Is there a better way I can store and use the data?

2) - There is potential for about 100 people to be accessing the database at any given time. What will I need to do to ensure that the database isn't corrupted etc?

3) - The data will be mostly used on a month-by-month basis, therefore anything over a month could be archived separately. Can I use this to my advantage to make performance better?

Thank you so much for your time.

Happy Tuesday everyone.

Given the number of users you're talking about, I would suggest installing SQL Server on a machine somewhere on the network and then having the clients connect to that. SQL Server Express is free and can handle up to 10GB per database. I suggest that you follow the Data Walkthroughs link in my signature below to learn the basics of working with data, then post back if you have specific issues.

Latest posts

Back