Question VS 2012: "The file App.config could not be found within the project templates."

pizzaboy

Programming Experience
1-3
VS 2012: "The file App.config could not be found within the project templates."

AARRRRGGGHHH!!!

As explained in the title. New installation of 2012, started a new windows project and this error was prompted, how do I resolve this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Each of your project templates is stored in a folder somewhere under 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates'. It sounds like the project template you were using is missing the App.config template. You might try a repair to see if the missing file is added as there may be others missing too. If not, I'd try creating an instance of each and every project type to see if the rest work. We may then be able to provide you with the appropriate file to add manually or find some other solution.

OK, still have a problem. As the error was quite specific, I did a search for Web.config and App.config.

It appears that these files were located under "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\...", but the error states: "Could not find file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplatesCache\Web\VisualBasic\1033\WebConfig'."??

When I go to that directory there is a file "WebConfig.vstemplate" in there?

I've zipped up and attached the contents of the folder 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplatesCache\Web\VisualBasic\1033\WebConfig' found on my machine. Note that I included the full path info in the ZIP file so you should just be able to unzip to 'C:\' and they'll end up in the right place.

Attachments

• WebConfig.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 52
Thanks jmcilhinney.

Just a little lost as to why the installer failed to add the file there.

Anyways, much appreciated.

Back