What is ODBC ?

Well, OPC stands for OLE for Process Control (OPC is the automation industry's version of OLE but that's another story). The goal of the OPC specification is to provide an open, flexible, plug and play software standard for software interoperability in the automation industry. The specification intends to addresses the specific needs of the automation industry such as data access (i.e. drivers), alarming, historical data access and trending, batch, and more...

It was about OPC while ODBC stands for Open DataBase Connectivity, a standard database access access method.
The goal of ODBC is to make it possible to access any data from any application, regardless of which database menagement system is handling the data.
ODBC manages this by inserting a middle layer, called a database driver, between an application and the DBMS.
The purpose of this layer is to translate the application's data queries into commands that the DBMS understands.
For this to work, both the application and the DBMS must be ODBC-compliant, that is, the application must be capable of issuing ODBC commands and the DBMS must be capable of responding to them.

Regards ;)

Last edited:
Okay. So, in order to accomplish this ? Am I going to need any hardware/software requirements ? Like a server of some sort ? And are there any built-in classes in the .Net framework which makes this task(s) a little simpler ..

And one more thing ... the preferred choice would be to use OPC, but someone told me ODBC would be easier ... what do you suggest bro ?

Assuming about your real goals i vote for ODBC :)
OPC ?
madaj.gif

Regards ;)

To make your app ODBC compliant you would use the System.Data.OdbcClient namespace for all your data access. You would give the user some method of specifying the driver they want to use, which you would then insert into your OdbcConnection's ConnectionString property, along with database location, user credentials, etc. An ODBC connection string looks something like this:

"Driver={DriverNameHere};Server=ServerName;Database=DatabaseName;Uid=UserName;Pwd=Password;"

As John already told you about ODBC usage let me say couple about ODBC creating. You can do that either manualy set up the odbc through Administrative Tools -> Data Sources (ODBC) or programatically with VB.NET ... the choice is your. If you need i could send you the code aobut how to establish new ODBC connection

Regards ;)

kulrom said:
As John already told you about ODBC usage let me say couple about ODBC creating. You can do that either manualy set up the odbc through Administrative Tools -> Data Sources (ODBC) or programatically with VB.NET ... the choice is your. If you need i could send you the code aobut how to establish new ODBC connection

Regards ;)

Yes, that would be pretty helpful bro.

Thanks.

So bro, In order to make my program ODBC compliant, Do i need a SQL Server? Or is there someway I can do something, without accessing a server, as in locally come up with something ... I'm guessing, it should be easier that way ..

Back