What is ODBC ?

kulrom said:
Just don't change anything in the code i've attached above and try again ... i beleive this error msg will not be thrown ... keep me updated in order to help you more if you need that ... Regards ;)

No bro, this msg was thrown when i was trying it out on a sample project .. with no code .. whatsoever.

Bro, it's funny .. maybe i've discovered a potential bug ;)

I can't add a ODBCadapter even after restarting .. a restart would terminate the DSN connection created right ?

Hmm hmm hmm ///

No no ... stop there! First off, it seems like you don't get concept of ODBC. It is Programming interface that enables application to access data in DB management systems that use SQL. I already mention above that ODBC manages this by inserting a middle layer, called a database driver, between an application and the DBMS. Finally, when you set up ODBC ones it is permanetly present on your machine so, if you are asking me whether it would be terminated after restart the answer is NO. Also, note that with the code above you can create as much new conns as you want.
You are struggling with vb.net connection string or maybe your PC. That's why i asked to post me the part that establishing connection with ODBC. Do that and we will know whether it is because of that or it was your PC :D

Regards ;)

Hmm .. ok .. I got it .. So, this means that even when I start a new project .. The ODBC settings will remain ?
Because, for the above post(s) .. I tried to add the OdbcAdapter during design time ..

Look, usually i'm using that code to create new ODBC on target machines ... 1st it is checking whether or not certain conn exists and in case it has been not found it creates one for you. Ones it was created job is done. Btw, yes ODBC settings remain there and you can use that ODBC as much as you need untill you re-install OS :D

Happy coding
palec.gif

ODBC Connection Programmatically

I was reading your post on creatig ODBC Connections programmatically.. I went through your code and was very easy to understand.. but what i want to ask you is how can you specify that you want to create a System DSN or a User DSN.

Thanks in advance.

Dear Kulrom ,

Thanks a lot for your sample application. It creates odbc con. But it does not select database.I mean when I click configure button through control panel no database name exists there, unlike other odbc's. Also when I try to add odbc connection control to my forms, error message appears as logon failed. Can you help on how to add database to this connection(through your application)please.

Thanks a lot in advance

Last edited:
Back