Problem with Sql Srvr CE 3.5

elmowatson

Programming Experience
1-3
I downloaded and installed SSCE3.5 - sp2
then, I created a new Windows App and added the CE client to the References.
Next I wanted to add a local database, but when I gave it the name and hit 'ok', I got this error:
"the data provider required to connect to the local data file could not be found. The file will be added to the project but the typed Dataset associated with the file will not be generated."

The database indeed, is added to the application in Solution Explorer, but I can't do anything with the database (add tables, etc)

I have searched the net and found the error many times, but have, as of yet, found no answer. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing, or a way to fix this?

At first I thought you were on to something - I had installed CE and then SP2 - - which only gave me an import of a Microsoft namespace referring to CE - - the new installation was SP2 directly, which gave me System.Data.SQLServerClientCE.

However, no luck - using VS.Net 2008 on an x86 machine, adding a reference to the newly installed CE, importing System.Data.SQLServerClientCE, I still get the same error.

What a let down - I was really looking forward to using CE instead of Access

I just added an SDF database to a project and it added a reference to System.Data.SqlServerCe, located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v3.5\Desktop\System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll.

how strange - must be something klunky with my 2008 installation - I tried the same exact thing with 2010 and it worked just fine
thanks for all the help

Back