Question Visual Studio 2005 Setup Project is not showing Shortcut on Install

dHeather

Programming Experience
Beginner
Hello,

I have a windows application that I have added a Setup Project to so I can include additional files and a desktop shortcut on install. I am sure I am doing everything right but I just can't get a shortcut on the desktop or the additional files (.csv) to get copied at install. I am running Visual Studio 2005 (yes I know it is old) on an XP Pro machine.

These are the steps I have taken to try and get it working:

In my existing Project I clicked on File - Add - New Project.
I then selected Setup Project
I renamed the ProductName as approriate and set RemovePreviousVersion to TRUE
On the File System Tab I right clicked the Application Folder and chose Add - Project Output
I then selected Primary Output with an (Active) configuration and pressed OK
I then changed the Application Folder - Properties - AlwaysCreate to TRUE
I then went to the User's Desktop Folder and right clicked to Create New Shortcut
In the window that followed I selected the Application Folder and then the Primary Output File that I had previously placed there. I then renamed the shortcut.
I then returned to the Application Folder and right clicked to Add - Flie and added my project Icon and the csv file I want to be copied on install.
Finally I returned to the shortcut in the User's Desktop Folder and set it's properties to AlwaysCreate - TRUE and assigned my icon to the Icon Property
I then Published my project and installed.

It installs and runs fine, but there is no sign of a desktop icon or my csv file.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong anyone? It's driving me mad.

Thanks

Hello, Hello,

Turns out I'm a muppet. I was publishing my project rather than building the setup project and then using the setup file it produces in the Debug folder.

All working fine now.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back