Question What to learn first ...

vodkasoda

Programming Experience
10+
A quick bit of advice for a newcomer please ... I have a long term project in the pipeline that will involve rewriting some GFA BASIC programs in C#. I will be using SQL Server & Visual Studio in that process.I am an experienced Computer Programmer (over 30 years on IBM Mainframes) & have a basic grasp of the likes of VB6 & VBA, so I don't need to start completely from scratch, but if I am going to learn VS, SQL & C#, in what order should I do it ?!?Thanks in advance ...

Do you actually need to touch Visual Basic at all? You say you don't have any experience with Basic Languages and do in C.
Why not just use the Visual Studio version of C#?

This place is for VB.Net development only, there's a C# forum here for example: C# Developer Forums

My apologies JohnH, I posted under what I thought was a Visual Studio thread ... however, the basic gist of the question is perfectly valid here, I would imagine ... what should I learn first Visual Studio, SQL Server or the programming language, be it C#, C++, VB or anything else ?!?

Last edited:
This place is called "VB.Net Forums" (see top of page, you can hardly miss it), which should be a simple clue to what these forums is about. Visual Studio is used for Visual Basic development, it is also used for development in other languages.

As for the question, I'd say do a quick language tutorial first, it is easier to advance in any development technology when you understand what is talked about and can read code samples.

Thank you, yes, the clue is easy to follow when the head is clear ... unfortunately mine rarely is !!!

Thank you, yes, the clue is easy to follow when the head is clear ... unfortunately mine rarely is !!!
I'm only commenting because of this comment & your screen name.... maybe you should lay off the vodka part and drink more soda :p

Back